A Very Warner Welcome

Hi, everyone!

My name is Hayley and I’m the new Graduate Assistant in the Warner Admissions office. I’ve been working for a number of weeks now and have already learned so much about the admissions process, interacting with prospective students (which some of us were prospective students ourselves only a few months ago!), and networking among various graduate schools and future employers. You may have seen my ad in the Warner newsletter- I’m looking for interviewees for question and answer sessions. I’d like to do this with as many students as I can, from any of our distinguished programs, so email me at warnergrad@gmail.com if you’re interested in sharing your perspective!

I can’t wait to get to know you all via social media or in person. As for me, I’m a first year student in the Higher Education Student Affairs program. I recently graduated from Nazareth College with a B.A. in English with minors in the Honors Program and Women & Gender Studies. During my undergraduate career, I worked for admissions and tutored English, interned for Residential Life, led our on-campus improv comedy troupe, edited our student newspaper, and began my involvement with the Clinton Global Initiative. Outside of academia, I enjoy fitness and working/eating at the ice cream shop near my Rochester home (which effectively counteracts all of the exercise I do).

My greatest passion, however, is higher education in all of its facets. Post-graduation from Warner, my career goal is to work in university admissions as a counselor or enrollment director, but I can also see myself branching out to career services and student activities. That’s why I’m enjoying what we’ve been learning about in classes so far. For instance, I’m taking ED 436 How Universities Work, and just came from a fascinating lecture given by former U of R president Tom Jackson about his revolutionary Renaissance Plan, which changed the face and caliber of the university. He informed us of how he worked with the school board and different departments on campus to reshape our applicant pool and increase the quality of the school overall. In the following class, we watched a renowned documentary detailing the ways in which we as future higher ed professionals can improve student affairs at a variety of types of institutions. Today, we’ll be learning about campus environmental initiatives from facilities professionals. It’s discussions like these that intrigue me enough to look into various aspects of higher education.

Remember, I want to know YOUR thoughts, too! I’m looking forward to hearing feedback from you all. Meliora!

1. cclevel4@u.rochester.edu'

Hi Hayley,
    Is there any way that we can sign up for email alerts for your blog? I would like to know when something new is posted.
    Thank you,