Meet the Bloggers: Hayley Johnson

Hi, everyone!

My name is Hayley and I’m a Graduate Assistant in the Warner Admissions office. I’ve been working here for over a year now and have learned so much about the admissions process, interacting with prospective students, and networking among various graduate schools and future employers. I’m always looking for interviewees for question and answer sessions. I’d like to do this with as many current students as I can, from any of our distinguished programs, so email me at warnergrad@gmail.com if you’re interested in sharing your perspective!

I can’t wait to get to know you all via social media or in person. As for me, I’m a second-year student in the Higher Education Student Affairs program. I graduated from Nazareth College with a B.A. in English with minors in the Honors Program and Women & Gender Studies. During my undergraduate career, I worked for admissions and tutored English, interned for Residential Life, led our on-campus improv comedy troupe, edited our student newspaper, and began my involvement with the Clinton Global Initiative.

As a graduate student, I’ve been afforded opportunities to work in the Office of Career Services & Cooperative Education and the Center for Residence Life, both at the Rochester Institute of Technology, and I’ve worked for summer programs as a head counselor. I’ve attended conferences for young professionals, and have met with prolific figures from the field.

My greatest passion, however, is higher education in all of its facets. Post-graduation from Warner, I have several career options and goals in mind, thanks to the versatility of my program. I’ve taken courses like How Universities Work, in which each week, my cohort and I learned about higher education processes and putting theory into practice from professionals from different departments. I’ve taken both Master’s Research Methods and Assessment, Accreditation, and Accountability, and now I’m able to create my own qualitative or quantitative studies in various contexts. Friends of mine have taken counseling courses that cross over into higher ed, and what better way to connect and build rapport with students than to understand counseling methods? Overall, Warner classes provide students like me with transferable skills that we can use both inside and outside of the classroom.

If you’re a prospective student, consider taking a course as a non-matriculated student, attending an open house or other admissions event, or emailing me for more information. Remember, I want to know YOUR thoughts, too! I’m looking forward to hearing feedback from you all. Meliora!