The semester is coming to a close; my last in-class meeting is today and I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone! Congratulations to any graduating Master’s or Doctoral students, and know that you are always welcome back at Warner! If you’re a current or former student staying in Rochester this summer, here are some events scheduled for the coming months that involve good music, food, and fun!
- The Lilac Festival (May 6th – May 15th): Free admission allows you to explore the beauty of Highland Park, which is right near the University of Rochester! Enjoy live music from Roc performers, food trucks, wine tastings, craft stands, or even sign up for the 5k or 10k if you are feeling ambitious!
- Park Ave Fest (August 6th – August 7th): The entire stretch of Rochester’s Park Avenue will be lined with local vendors and artists for the weekend. Sample desserts with local flare, check out award-winning pieces of art and clothing, and network with graphic designers, all located in one area!
- Highland Bowl Series (July 8th): Take a seat in our town’s own amphitheater and witness concerts from well-known bands like Los Lobos. Whatever your musical taste, there is something for everyone at a reasonable ticket price!
- Food Truck Rodeo (May 25th – October 26th): The famed Rochester Public Market will host food truck rodeos Wednesday nights throughout the summer, and will feature local bands while attendees enjoy food from trucks like Le Petit Poutine, Cheesed and Confused, Wraps on Wheels, and more!
- Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (June 24th – June 2nd): Headliners this year include Grace Potter and Erykah Badu, and you can also choose from 93 free shows offered near the Eastman School of Music. Grab coffee from Java’s and head to a jam session with friends.
- The Seneca Park Zoo (open 10 am – 4 pm): Rochester’s zoo has three main sections: visit with mammals, birds, and reptiles/amphibians. Learn about what you can do to contribute to their extensive conservation efforts around the world.
- Fairport Canal Days (June 3rd – June 5th): This weekend event has five stages for live music, a festival-wide chicken barbecue, and numerous wine and chocolate tastings. There are even special events for kids!
- Sci-Fi Summer Weekend at the Strong Museum (July 9th- July 10th): Check out a brand new exhibit at our very own Museum of Play entitled “Rockets, Robots, and Ray Guns.” Strong is for people of all ages, so explore the Toy Hall of Fame, the Wegmans Super Kids Market, and a whole section on American comic book heroes while you’re there.
Is there an event you think should be added to this list? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know! Meliora and get excited for the summer of 2016!